Cotswold District - recycling made easy!
Click here to access the national recycling bank locator. Type in your postcode to get detailed recycling information, including location maps.
- recycling banks
- household recycling centres
Collections are fortnightly, normally on the same day as your refuse. Please put your recycling box out by 7am on the day of collection. Contact the Recycling Team for an additional or replacement box, or assisted collection for the elderly or infirm.
These are the materials you can put in your black recycling box
- mixed paper
- Newspapers & magazines
- Paper (white & coloured)
- Catalogues & brochures
- Yellow Pages
- Junk Mail and Envelopes
No plastic wrappers
- Wrapping paper
food & drink cans
- Food cans/tins Including cake and chocolate tins
- Drink cans/tins
- Pet food cans/tins
Please rinse. Labels can be left on. Put sharp lids inside cans and crush
glass bottles & jars
- Glass bottles
- Glass jars
- Broken glass
- Milk bottles
- Window / Mirror glass
- Sheet glass
- Other glass (e.g. drinking glass)
Please rinse No lids, corks or caps please. Labels can be left on
- Aerosol Cans
Empty aerosols only. Please DO NOT squash
These are the items you can put in your blue sack
- All cardboard boxes
- Cereal boxes
- Egg boxes
- Food packaging boxes
- Greetings cards
- Tetra pack type cartons
- Garden or food waste
- Household waste
Please flatten card and cardboard and place in your reusable blue sack. Additional cardboard can be put out underneath your blue sack or recycling box. Please cut large pieces of cardboard into sections no larger than 1m x 1m (3ft x 3ft) otherwise they will not fit in the collection vehicles.
Food waste collection
Food waste is collected weekly for composting, normally on the same day as your refuse. Every household has been issued with a 10-litre food waste container. The container has a locking handle to prevent spills and smells and protect the contents from vermin. Food waste can also be emptied into your green garden waste wheeled bin (if you have subscribed to this service).
If you are unsure of your collection day please Contact the recycling team. Please put your food waste container out by 7am on the day of collection. Contact the Recycling Team for an additional or replacement container, a collection calendar or assisted collection for the elderly or infirm.
The food waste container can be used for all biodegradable food waste including:
These are the items you can put in your food waste container
- Cooked and uncooked
- Raw and cooked fruit & vegetables
- Meat and fish, including bones and skin
- Cheese and other dairy products
- Eggs and egg shells
- Bread, cakes and pastry
Rice, pasta, beans and cereal
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Newspaper or approved compostable liners
- Cat and dog food
- Animal hair
- Uneaten food from your plates and dishes
- Plastic (including plastic bags and non-approved biodegradable liners)
- Packaging of any kind
- Metal and glass
- Any other household waste
- Liquids, oil and fat (including solid fats such as lard)
- Animal faeces
- Animal bedding
- Pet litter
- Pet carcasses
- Cardboard (please recycle in blue bags) - see recycling collection service
You can compost in three ways
1. Home Composting
Using a compost bin or heap is the best option for the environment and your garden. Also, you can compost kitchen waste such as fruit and vegetable peelings as well as garden waste.
Compost bins can be bought for as little as £16 (plus £5.49 delivery, per order). To find out more, call 0845 076 0223.
2. Chargeable Garden Waste Service
Click here to sign up to the service. All Cotswold residents are entitled to a garden waste collection using a green wheeled bin. Food waste is now accepted in the green bins.
Collections are fortnightly, normally on the same day as your recycling. For a collection calendar or further information, please contact the Recycling Team on the number at the top of this page.
3. Garden Waste Composting at your Household Recycling Centre
You can also recycle excess garden waste at your Household Recycling Centre. Garden waste only, no food/kitchen scraps.
DID YOU KNOW?
Organic materials such as grass and leaves do not break down properly when buried in landfill sites.
Instead, they produce a liquid pollutant (leachate) and a gas that contributes towards global warming (methane).
However, if we compost these materials we will:
- Reduce the amount of waste going to landfill
- Reduce pollution to our environment
- Return valuable nutrients back to our soil
To complement recycling collections from home, there is a wide range of recycling banks available for recycling a greater variety of materials.
Please remember to wash and squash any plastic bottles and rinse out your tins and cans!
- Andoversford Village Hall
- Ampney Crucis, Durncourt Cottages Car Park
- Avening, The Sunground Playgroup
- Barrington, Fox Public House
- Barrington, Inn For All Seasons Public House
- Bibury, Bibury Trout Farm
- Birdlip, Roman Road Layby
- Bourton on the Water, Rissington Road Car Park
- Chedworth Village Hall
- Chipping Campden, Recreation Ground
- Cirencester, Abbey Car Park
- Cirencester, Abbey Home Farm
- Cirencester, Agricultural College
- Cirencester, Beeches Car Park
- Cirencester, Brewery Car Park
- Cirencester College (Deer Park)
- Cirencester, Forum Car Park
- Cirencester, Kingsmeadow Tesco
- Cirencester, Old Station Car Park
- Cirencester, Waitrose Car Park
- Cirencester, Waterloo Car Park
- Coates Village Hall
- Didmarton Village Hall
- Down Ampney Village Hall
- Fairford, Hatherop Road
- Kempsford Village Hall
- Lechlade, A417 Layby Faringdon Road
- Lechlade, Riverside Public House Car Park
- Meysey Hampton, Church Street Car Park
- Mickleton Butchers Arms
- Moreton in Marsh, Budgens Supermarket
- Moreton in Marsh, Fire Service College
- Moreton in Marsh, Station Road Car Park
- North Cerney, FHA Garages
- Northleach, Westwoods Centre
- Rendcomb, College Car Park
- Sapperton, Bell Inn Car Park
- Sherbourne, Social Club Car Park
- South Cerney, Cotswold Hoburne Camp Site
- South Cerney, Berkely Close (Ann Edwards School)
- Stow on the Wold, Maugersbury Road Car Park
- Stow on the Wold, Tesco Car Park
- Temple Guiting Village Hall
- Tetbury, Tesco Car Park
- Westonbirt, The National Arboretum
- Weston Sub Edge, Land Adjacent the Bowls Club
- Willersey, Broadway Road
- Withington, The Mill Inn Car Park
Private Sites - Please contact property owners if you wish to use this site.
- Cirencester, Halt Rescue & Info Centre, Chesterton
- Doughton, Highgrove, Doughton
- Daylesford, Daylesford Estate
- Lechlade, Coln Park
- Northwick, Northwick Park
- Somerford Keynes, Lower Mill Estate
- South Cerney, Watermark, South Cerney
- South Cerney, Outdoor Education Centre
- Westonbirt, Beaufort Polo Club, Down Farm
- Westonbirt, Westonbirt School
Your nearest Household Recycling Centres are:
Fosse Cross, Near Cirencester
Click here for details about this Household Recycling Centre.
Pyke Quarry, Near Horsley
Click here for details about this Household Recycling Centre.
Gloucestershire and Warwickshire County councils have an agreement which allows Gloucestershire residents to use the Household Recycling Centre at Shipston-on-Stour. Click here for information on what you can recycle at this site.