Continence Care Garments for Older Children & Adults
Up until recently, there hasn't been alot of choice for older children & adults and disposable nappies have been the only option available. Many adults, teenagers & older children are incontinent either day & night or just at night. Bedwetting is very common and rarely talked about, however it isn't seen as a medical issue until about 7 years old.
Rashes and bedsores are common complaints, itchiness being the commonest of all. Offer an older child a cloth nappy and a disposable one and they will always choose the cloth one; cloth is much more comfortable next to the skin than paper. Expensive for parents & health authorities alike, disposable nappies also fill up landfill at an alarming rate.
Cloth nappy companies have come up with an alternative - Soft, comfortable, washable continence garments for any age and size and remember these wash & wash & wash, lasting several years. They pay for themselves in several months and will help to substantially reduce landfill.
Continence Care (external link) by Minki is a subsidiary of Nappies by Minki
Offering bespoke and made to measure services they became known as a good source for garments to suit children with special needs and then adults. They have worked with a number of adults, who were frustrated by the lack of choice available. They have produced a range of continence care garments that will suit most requirements, but still offer a bespoke made to measure service for those clients who have the perfect garment in mind, but cannot find it.
Their Aims –
• To offer older children, young adults and adults with continence problems a choice and to raise awareness of cloth continence garments as a reliable and user friendly alternative to disposable products
• To produce quality items to suit the needs of their clients
• To offer a professional and discreet service
• To be able to listen to and discuss the problems and needs of their clients in an open and honest way without any embarrassment
• To continue to research and develop garments using new fabrics and designs to improve their performance
1. Minki Yoyo (For older children & adults) Prices from £12.50 (young children) to £20.95 (adults) Pull-Up Trainer Pants - This garment is a pant /nappy hybrid. Offering all the protection and absorbency capabilities of a regular pocket nappy with the added convenience of being able to be pulled up and down like traditional underwear thanks to the soft , stretchy Lycra side panels. The side panels have the added benefit of making the garment very trim on the hip area. The same basic construction as a pocket nappy, a PUL outer and suedecloth inner ..but cut trimmer between the legs and lower in the rise ..this garment is great under clothes. Snap fasteners to the front hip allow for ease of stuffing ..and removal if soiled. Available in White, black, pale pink, pale blue, hyacinth blue, and red.
2. Day & Night-Time Pocket Nappy (for babies, older children & adults) From £10.50 (babies) to £25.95/£29.95 (for adults) The same design and shape as the day-time pocket nappy. but with an additional outer layer of fleece. The outer layer of fleece does add bulk, but it also makes the nappy very soft and comfortable. All elastic and waterproof fabric is encased in soft fleece to ensure that the wearer is as comfortable as can possibly be. Crossover Applix close gives masses of adjustment on fit. The inner fleece layer provides the stay dry layer that makes a good nights sleep possible. The roomy pocket allows for ample stuffing for the heaviest of night-time wetters. Although it has the extra outer layer this nappy is still incredibly quick drying as the ‘bulk’ is removed for washing and drying purposes, this means that you need fewer nappies, they will air dry within a day making it possible to have just the one for night-time usage.
Also available - Motherease Bedwetter Pants (for older children) Available from Twinkle on the Web (external link)
Made of the same stretch terry inner and polyurethane laminate outer as their nappies and wraps, these ultra-thick one-piece pull on pants also have a sewn in flap that is only attached at the ends to aid drying, which is slow anyway due to the thickness of this product. Designed to stem quite a large wee such as one might encounter at night, these pants come in larger sizes that will fit from toddler up to around 5-6 years depending on build. These pants are ideal for those small children that have regular accidents at night. Boosters can be added for extra absorbency if required. Suggested quantity 2-3 to allow for drying. Machine washable at 60, may be tumble dried.
Available in three sizes, white only:
• XSmall 30-40lb / 13.5-18kg £15.95
• Small 40-55lb / 18-25kg £16.95
• Medium 55-65lb /25-30kg £17.95
For further information see -
ERIC (external link) - This website provides information and support on childhood bedwetting, daytime wetting, constipation and soiling to children, young people, parents and professionals. Also suppliers of bed wetting alarms (body worn & bedside), bedding protection, bedding, leaflets, magazines, charts, cd's, dvd's & videos.