Skip to main content

What can you recycle at our centres?

Please note that Swindon Road Household Recycling Centre is operated on behalf of Cheltenham Borough Council and opening times and the materials accepted differ.  For more details please visit Swindon Road Recycling Centre.

What you can recycle:

  • Batteries
  • Books
  • Cans
  • Card and cardboard
  • Catalogues and brochures
  • Computers / laptops*
  • DIY waste / rubble and building materials
  • Electronic and electrical equipment
  • Flat glass
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Garden waste
  • Gas bottles (see below)
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Household and garden chemicals
  • Ink cartridges
  • Junk mail
  • Light bulbs (low energy and traditional)
  • Newspapers and magazines
  • Oil - cooking oil (max 5 litres per visit please)
  • Oil - waste engine oil
  • Plastic bottles
  • Scrap metal
  • Shoes
  • Special waste (see below)
  • Spectacles
  • Telephone directories
  • Televisions and monitors
  • Textiles and clothes
  • White goods - washing machines, fridges/freezers
  • Wood and timber
  • Yellow Pages

*Computers and laptops brought to the site will NOT be securely destroyed. If you are concerned about personal data on your machine it is strongly advised that you remove any hard-drives and securely destroy them before recycling them at our sites.

What else can I bring to the centres?

You can bring other household waste to our centres (e.g. mattresses, garden furniture etc) but we are unable to recycle it at present.

Special waste

Herbivore (i.e. guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters) pet bedding

One bag of bedding (natural materials/fibre only) from herbivore pets can be recycled in the green waste skip, but any extra bags will have to be deposited in the non-recycling skip.

We accept bedding waste generated from other domestic pets which should be deposited in the non-recycling bin, but we will not accept such waste from commercial animal breeders.

Dog and cat faeces

You can deposit up to one carrier bag sized amount of dog or cat faeces at any one visit. This must be double bagged, sealed and only placed in the skip for non-recyclable waste.

You shouldn't remove asbestos-containing material yourself - it is a dangerous operation which can result in the release of small asbestos fibres into the air. Breathing in these fibres can eventually lead to a number of fatal diseases. We recommend that you employ a professional and licensed contractor to remove asbestos. Please go to the following website for further information: www.arca.org.uk

Our recycling centres have limited disposal facilities for cement-bonded asbestos which has been removed by householders.  To order a set of bags visit the HRC Van Booking form.  Once you have received these bags and securely wrapped the asbestos up please book your visit using the HRC Van Booking form

Please note we only provide a limited number of bags for this purpose and only those bags will be accepted when you deliver these to your nearest Household Recycling Centre. 

Call 0845 602 9344* for more details if you are having trouble using this online service.
*Calls to this number cost 5 pence per minute plus your telephone company's access charge

We cannot accept any asbestos removed by a contractor as this is commercial waste.

Any coals or ashes from a barbecue must be cold and only deposited in the rubble bin.

We accept construction and demolition waste arising from work carried out by residents on their own property.  We have separate containers on our sites for rubble, soil, wood and plasterboard.

Any waste generated by work carried out by a contractor (eg. a builder, plumber or electrician) is classified as commercial waste and cannot be accepted at our HRCs.

LPG gas cylinders are the property of the gas supplier and we recommend that they are returned to them if at all possible.

Please visit www.uklpg.org for more information.

We will accept gas bottles/cylinders and fire extinguishers that have been used for domestic purposes. We cannot accept such items emanating from business use.

Chemical banks

All recycling centres have a chemical bank for your containers of household / garden chemicals and tins of oil and solvent-based paint. 

Mercury thermometers

These can be put in the household chemical bank.

When bringing chemicals or thermometers to our sites please speak to a member of staff who will open the chemical bank for you.

If you have unwanted paint that is at least ¾ full, please consider donating it for re-use. See the Community RePaint website for more details.

If bringing paints to your local recycling centre please see a member of staff on advice where to deposit them.

What you can't bring to our recycling centres?

Business waste

Hazardous clinical waste, such as needles and dialysis waste, will not be accepted at the Household Recycling Centres.


Hazardous waste such as syringes, diabetic needles and lancets post a significant health risk and need to be disposed of safely.  Do not place diabetic needles, syringes or lancets in any general refuse sacks or bins - you may not only be risking your own health but that of the operatives that pick up the waste.

Using a special sharps box is the safest way to dispose of hypodermic needles.  These are available on prescription from your local GP surgery or can be purchased directly from the pharmacy at a small cost.  Once full, boxes must be returned sealed to either your local surgery or to one of the pharmacies in Gloucestershire participating in the take back scheme.  Please find below a list of pharmacies which are currently included in the syringe 'take back' scheme:

Pharmacies participating in take back scheme

Dialysis Waste

If you have dialysis waste, please contact your local council.  Normally the council is notified that you require a dialysis waste collection through the hospital treating you.  However, if you are unsure about how your collections will take place please ring.

Old or unwanted fireworks

You should always thoroughly dampen old or unwanted fireworks in a bucket of water for 24 hours and then deposit in your refuse wheeled bin. However, if you have too many for your bin, they may, once thoroughly soaked, be brought for disposal at the recycling centre.

Maritime flares

You should take any old or unwanted maritime flares to your local police station for disposal.  Please phone 101 for further assistance.

Due to the size and hazardous nature of the residue contents, please contact either your local supplier or the original tank supplier to arrange disposal.

Please contact a local septic tank supplier  to arrange disposal.


We will accept up to four car or 4x4 sized tyres in any one visit to our HRCs. We will not accept any van or commercial sized vehicle tyres. You may wish to contact your local car tyre dealer to arrange disposal.

Car batteries and car parts

We will accept old car batteries but you should take all other car parts to a local vehicle dismantler's yard.

Help us improve Gloucestershire Recycles

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.