10 ways to help you reduce waste in 2018
10 ways to reduce waste in 2018
Making changes is always difficult, but the beginning of the New Year is naturally the time people think about changing habits for the better. Why not take a look at following some of our tips below to reduce your waste, and also save you money.
- Actually take your reusable bags shopping with you. Keep some in your car, hand bag or even desk at work so you are never caught out.
- Carry a water bottle with you. This can both reduce your waste and save you money by avoiding single use water bottles. If you are stuck without a reusable bottle and do buy a drink, remember to recycle that bottle or can. This may mean holding on to it until you find a recycling bin, but it avoids the waste going in to landfill.
- If you are a big coffee drinker, take a reusable mug with you to the coffee shop. This avoids single use cups and some shops even give you a discount for using your own. If you forget your reusable, why not take the time to drink you coffee in the shop in a china mug. This way you can reduce your waste and relax and appreciate your coffee.
- Take lunches to work. This will save you lots of money in the long run and avoid the waste produced when buying your lunchtime meal deal. It is also a great way to use up leftovers and reduce food waste.
- Try and plan your meals, so you only buy what you need at the shop. This will reduce the amount of food going off in your fridge and help you save money and time.
- Use your freezer. This is a great way to store leftovers safely and reduce food waste. It also means there is always something to eat in the house when you are trying to avoid ordering takeaways.
- Say no to other single use products like straws and plastic cutlery where possible.
- You can use alternatives to store things in such as glass jars and plastic tubs, rather than using cling film or tin foil.
- If you are a keen gardener, why not compost your green waste?
- Recycle! Make sure all the waste you produce ends up in the right bins. Don’t forget about those shampoo and shower gel bottles that can be recycled.